Thursday, March 08, 2007

Memories
Mr. Anthony told us to recall our first memories. My first memory is of the age of 4 and it is about eating cup noodles. Others in my class reported that they have memories when they were 1, 2, or 3. However, Mr. Anthony argued to their account that it is highly unlikely. He stated that neurologically we, at that age, are unable to store memories as the brain is not yet fully formed. He then concludes that the memories of those below 3 are possibly recreated. One example he gave us was that it is a reconstructed memory from the age of 6 of things we might have heard or seen at that time which relates to the age of three. In other words, these memories are false. These memories are not actually accounts of what have happened; however it is what we told our self to remember. In other words there are emotional elements which assist to what we keep in our memory. For example, me I had eating as part of my memory. Consequently I felt that I was quite happy. I guess that was one reason why I remember it. Also Mr. Anthony told us that when we reconstruct our memories it is in third person. However, seeing the memory in third person is impossible. Thus Mr. Anthony concluded that memory is malleable. In other words, memory doesn’t work like a photograph. It is shaped and distorted through time.

No comments: